Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Apricot Asserts Himself

So the only way Apricot had previously interacted with cats physically larger than he was, was to do anything they told him to and mostly try to stay out of the way. As the kittens have been growing, he's been giving them occasional uneasy looks, as if wondering when they're going to start bullying him around.

For their part, they still think he's the bigger cat, and the adult cat, so their behavior hasn't changed. This is a bit confusing for Apricot because they're still trying to play with him as though they aren't bigger than he is, which means they are unintentionally throwing their weight around, quite literally.

I have been observing this, a little worried. But yesterday something happened that reassured me. And I think it reassured Apricot, too.

Now you see, Thimble and Colby are normally good about sharing their toys. However, they each have favorite toys, and they are less willing to share them. Colby, like Apricot, prefers to avoid direct conflict, so he'll mostly just back off and let the other cat play with the toy, but occasionally he'll try to protect the toy and keep it to himself. Mostly by picking it up in his mouth and running off with it.

Thimble, on the other hand, gets a little more aggressive about his favorite toys. He has two types, and for each he will hide them so no one can play with them (he's fond of hiding them in my bed while I sleep, which means I roll over onto the toy in the morning and wonder momentarily why there's a huge knot in my back) (he also hides them underneath the rugs and I find them when I vacuum).

But if he wants to play with them, he will growl at Colby to keep his distance. Colby will subside back and watch longingly as Thimble tosses the toy rattle mouse in the air and bats it around. Apricot usually observes this from across the room. Sometimes if he walks past too close, Thimble will growl a warning at him, too.

I saw Apricot heading toward Thimble yesterday during one of Thimble's possessive moments. I figured Apricot would simply keep going, ignoring Thimble with dignity, the way he usually does, and I looked back at my book.

When next I glanced up, Apricot had the toy and was playing with it! And Thimble and Colby were both in the sitting quietly and gazing longingly at the cat with the toy. This went on for several minutes as I watched with my jaw on the floor, and then Apricot lost interest in the mouse and left to get a drink from the fountain. Even then, Thimble approached the toy cautiously, keeping an eye on Apricot to make sure it was okay to take it back.

I guess I don't have to worry so much about Apricot keeping himself from being bullied!

No comments:

Post a Comment