Friday, December 25, 2015

The Ghost of Christmas Present

After Christmas at my parents' house in the morning, I spent most of the rest of the day at home with the cats. I was tired and wanted to lie down and close my eyes for a little bit. I didn't feel like a full sleep type nap, just resting.

So when Thimble kept pestering me, I didn't remove him like usual, just put up with it.

And after a while I drifted off, aware that he had come and curled up against my hip. He wasn't on top of me, just right close beside me. I could feel his weight pushing the covers down against me and the coil of his body mass in the bed.

When I woke, I decided to let him know I was available for pestering again, and pulled my hand out from under the sheet to pet him.

My hand met nothing but the top of the comforter. Yet still the heavy, circular weight of a curled up kitty rested against my side, on top of the sheet covering me underneath the comforter.

For a long moment, I was almost convinced it was Pippin's ghost, the ghost of Christmas past, so to speak.

But then I remembered that darn cat likes to burrow, and I reached in between the sheet and the comforter, and encountered thick long warm fur and a very happy Thimble. Who became less happy when I extracted him with an exasperated, "would you stop doing that!" comment.

Why a long-haired warm cat likes to burrow under the covers I will never understand, but I don't want him doing it in the bed because I don't wash those blankets every week and he'll create a nice warm moist spot for dust mites to multiply if he sleeps there, breathing out warm moist air.

So I had the ghost of christmas present. Only he wasn't a ghost, just a very solid Thimble.

No comments:

Post a Comment