Sunday, March 12, 2017

Happy Birthday to Me

It's my birthday today, and I've gotten presents I didn't want (snow!) and presents I did (lunch with a friend) and presents I was very much not expecting.

That last is Apricot. You know I've been working on getting him to trust me enough to pet his tummy. I can usually get one pet in before the second pet makes him tense up and leave. That's where we've been in the process for the last year, I think. Every time I see him sprawled so his tummy is exposed, I go over very softly and slowly, saying how lovely his tummy is (and it is, it's a gorgeous plush tummy), and asking if I can pet it, and then (if he's stayed), I pet slowly and carefully so he can see every move I'm going to make before I make it.

Yesterday morning he invited the tummy pet. I petted once. Twice. He didn't tense up. So I kept going.

I got tired before he did! What an honor to be trusted that much by a feral-raised cat. It quite made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment