Saturday, July 19, 2014

Apricot Ate a Fly

July 19, 2014 Saturday

Yesterday when I got home I was totally exhausted. Not actually sure why as it hasn't been that bad of a week, but there you have it; some of us can and some of us can't, and yesterday I couldn't. 

When I get home now, Apricot wants pets and attention immediately. He lets me turn off the house alarm, but after that it's time for attention. And I give it to him, in between taking off my shoes and putting stuff away. If I ignored him, he'd soon stop showing up and asking to be loved on, so I don't ignore him.

Well, after the attention, then his mind turns to playtime. I can tell because he ends up rolling over on his back and he starts playing with my hands if I keep up with the petting. Yesterday we ended up in the bedroom because I have to put my extra clothing away (it's cold at work, so I wear lots of clothes; right now it's too warm to wear them on the way home, so I have a bag of clothes I have to put away.)

He started moving toward playtime, and went into the living room to try to get me to follow him. I was so tired. I sat on the floor of the bedroom where he'd left me, looked around in kind of a mental fog, and then lay down on the carpet. But the light in my eyes from the nightstand bothered me too much, so I got up, went into the pink room next door, and lay down on the guest bed in there, my back to the room.

After awhile I heard from below and behind me, "mew?" And several more inquiring squeaky noises. Apricot doesn't meow. He squeaks. He sounds like a rusty hinge, honestly. I mumbled something about he could come up if he wanted, I was just tired.

A little while later the bed depressed some as he jumped up behind me in the narrow space between my back and the edge of the bed. He falls off this bed when I get him to jump on it chasing Da Bird, and it doesn't seem to bother him, so I don't know if he slipped off or jumped off. He jumped up to where there was more space at my legs, but decided not to stay.

I heard him bumbling around on the cat tree, and playing with a stuffed mouse on the floor. He also was either quiet or left and came back several times. I think the latter. When I finally got up to continue my after work chores, the next of which was litterbox cleaning, I found a great big fat housefly buzzing around in the bathroom. I tried to kill it, but it evaded me and flew out into the bedroom.

Great, just what I needed; a random buzzing noise throughout the night to keep me awake. As if I wasn't having enough trouble sleeping.

But I underestimated my keen hunter. Apricot found the fly (if he hadn't known about it before) in the living room and was having great fun hunting it. I cleaned the litterbox in the living room and went to put the bucket with the dirty litter back in the bathroom. As I came out, I saw Apricot standing in the doorway to the pink room.

He was chewing on something that made quite a large mouthful. He rather resembled the way a dog chews peanut butter! I assume he was eating the fly (eww), as I haven't seen or heard it since. He looked very pleased with himself and very self-satisfied. I praised him and said complementary things about his hunting abilities. I probably should have said more, but I was still tired.

The fly turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because catching it provided enough playtime for Apricot that he didn't mind when I rested in the chair in the living room, talking to my mom on the phone, for another half an hour or so. In fact, he stretched out in the center of the room, a smug look of satisfaction on his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment