Sunday, February 1, 2015

Colby Pees Oddly

So yesterday I was in a hurry to clean the litter boxes because I was late for meeting up with my friends. I could smell that Thimble had pooped, and while I was scooping that, I might as well do the whole box.

Colby always seems fascinated by the scooping process, and often gets in the box and sits on the litter and watches me. When I need to scoop where he's sitting, I'll just keep moving the litter slowly out from under him until he gets fed up with the eroding surface and leaves.

Well, he was doing this, sitting there, in the corner, watching me, but he wasn't leaving.

If I hadn't been in a hurry and been able to put two and two together, I might have realized that there was a very good reason he wasn't leaving. I might even have remembered that I've seen him pee before.

And unlike every cat I've ever had, Colby sits on the litter to pee, instead of crouching above it. I knew that some cats did this, but it's still a bizarre behavior and not one I remember that Colby does.

Yes, that's what the poor beleaguered cat was doing. He was trying to pee and there I was, eroding the surface he was peeing into, out from under him! And I still didn't realize there must be a good reason he was being stubborn, so I grabbed his harness and moved him. He must have good reflexes (or been almost done) because he didn't leave a stream of pee behind him, but the poor kitten was much offended, as well he should have been.

So when I realized what I'd done, I had to be even later to my meet-up, because I had to find Colby and apologize profusely. I also apologized when I came back later, but with good-natured kitten behavior, he had already forgiven me.

Poor Colby. I still feel bad about it. Of course, I'll probably remember he pees like that from now on! Nothing like learning the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment