Thursday, April 9, 2015

Half a Year Old

Colby and Thimble are half a year old, and in honor of the occasion and the fact that it's poetry month, I wrote a limerick about it.
***
My boys are 6 months old today
They're growing up in every way
They're getting tall 
But that's not all
You won't believe what 6 month kittens weigh.
***

Yeah, I know, don't quit my day job. Also, 12 lbs 7.5 oz (Thimble) and 11 lbs 12.0 oz (Colby). For perspective, full grown Apricot, who is overweight, bless his heart, is 12 lbs 10 oz. However, there is good news for me on the horizon--I was rather dreading the predicted 25-30 pounds Thimble had gotten at 3 months. But now that's been revised to 18-20 lbs for him and 16-18 lbs for Colby. Those are weights I can handle!
Colby, a bit borked, this morning.

Thimble, posing, this morning.

So this morning, I'm getting ready for work in the bedroom, and Thimble's beside me as I put on clothes--he's on the bed. In the hallway where we can see them, Colby and Apricot are having a mighty battle.

Apricot decides he's done having a mighty battle, and starts to walk away. Colby changes his mind about the battle being over, and pounces on Apricot, in an effort to restart it.

Apricot was done, and he extricates himself from the playfight and starts to walk away again.

Colby pounces again. At this point, they have moved out of my line of sight.

The next thing I hear (quite quickly, too) is Colby squalling like he's being shredded.

Now I've heard and seen him do this before. Kittens are supposed to squawk like that when the other kitten is being a bit too rough, but Colby does it when he wants out of a situation, even if the other kitten is playing just fine.

I leaned my head out the door (to make sure that's all it was), to see Colby on his stomach with Apricot on top of him. They both looked back at me when they heard me, but I think Apricot had been nomming on Colby's ear.

The previous time I'd seen Colby whine to get out of a situation he got himself into, it was Thimble chewing on his ear and it was actually Apricot who went over to tell Thimble enough was enough, back off. So Apricot knows Colby doesn't like his ears chewed on, and since Colby wouldn't leave him alone when Apricot was polite about it, Apricot then applied that knowledge.

I just grinned and shook my head and said, "Colby, you're such a whiner." Apricot let him up and Colby let Apricot go on his way unmolested, so everyone was fine.

And Apricot this morning, who is about 2 years old

No comments:

Post a Comment