Thursday, April 9, 2015

Where I've Been

A longer time than usual has passed between blog posts, and the name of the first post before the break should give you a clue as to what was happening. I was fighting sleep deprivation along with a weird sick/allergy/who knows what (massive headaches but not sinus, being so cold I actually had to go home early one day, etc. Weird).
Colby (underneath) and Thimble in the morning.

But kitty things happened as well as the unpleasant stuff ... although I have to admit Thimble was part of the sleep deprivation problem. We're still working on that, but the last few days he's been really good about letting me sleep even after I get up in the middle of the night for my bathroom break. He had thought that once I was up, I was up, and no going back to sleep!

In the morning when I wake up, quite often Thimble will be on the bed. Colby is there sometimes, and occasionally Apricot will come and join the gathering for a short while. He'll have me pet him and he'll purr in a stuttering sort of way that if he were a car would get him a quick trip to the mechanic, and then he'll leave again.

Thimble looking out the window


Colby still loves his tent.


They are learning to adapt to my energy level (which is practically non-existent). When I come home in the afternoon there is about a half an hour of stuff--both me putting things away from work and cuddling/playing with them. Thimble usually gets a ride back to the bedroom where I then clean the litterboxes. I have to make sure I get a good cuddle in with Colby because otherwise he kind of retires into the background. Apricot doesn't; making sure I see him and pet him beyond the "Apricot Cuddles" of the initial greeting ritual. I find this odd, actually, that in some ways, Colby is shyer and more retiring than Apricot!

And then after all that is over, and I sit down to read or play on the phone or work on the computer or watch tv, they calm down and often I get a companion, depending on what I'm doing. Watching tv I get a Colby in my lap; reading or playing on the phone I often get a Thimble, and the computer is a toss up. Sometimes no one shows up. Sometimes, like today, Apricot checks in. And last Saturday, Thimble was being helpful. (Really and truly, you see, because his warmth helped keep my hands from freezing, which they were trying to do, and because he was sleeping, I was actually able to get things done.) 
Thimble is being helpful while I work on the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment