Thursday, October 1, 2015

A Discussion With Thimble

Thimble has discovered that he can reach my hand if he stands on his hind legs and puts his front paws on my leg. He likes to do this, as he can sniff my hand and/or get petted. He especially likes to do this at the kitchen counter when I'm preparing supper, as my hands will end up having all sorts of interesting smells on them.

I don't mind him doing this. I think it's cute, actually, and as long as he realizes that I do move around, we're good. I like being able to reach just an inch down to scritch behind his ears.

The problem, and the discussion we're having, is that once he stretches out all tall and thin with his paws on my leg, he realizes, ooh, this feels good, like being at the scratching post, and transitions into scratching mode.

I am not a scratching post. And, paws, not claws, dear. These are the sorts of things that get said as I'm detaching him from my sweatpants. Also, as they have an elastic waist, he gets told, "now, look, when I have to pull my pants back up you've pulled too hard."

He's a bit puzzled, but I think he's catching on. He does it less than when he first discovered how tall he'd gotten, anyway.

And Colby sits on the kitchen stool behind us and watches calmly, being Colby. He likes Thimble doing this because that means Thimble has vacated the stool and Colby can have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment