Sunday, September 28, 2014

Just Little Tales

Thursday, Sept 25, 2014

Yesterday Apricot almost meowed. He normally squeaks, you know. But I heard him squeak quite loudly and with an inflection that sounded almost like a "me-ow" and I hastened into the living room to find out just what had caused this minor miracle!

He was sitting by the patio doors as I came in, but he left and launched himself up onto the cat tree by the window to look out that window quite intensely. I peered out the window beside him, and finally found the cause of his excitement.

There's a little tabby cat that sometimes comes by the patio / deck, and she (I have no idea really about her gender, but she looks like a she from a distance) was sitting on the deck at the stairs. Apricot knew she was there but he couldn't quite see her from where he was.

The encouraging thing is that he didn't sound angry or upset when he squeak-meowed at her. He sounded more like, "wait, come back!" Perhaps this means that he will be receptive towards having kitty company in the house. I certainly hope so!
---
I think perhaps he is comfortable around me now!

---

The short fabric tunnel that sits on the living room floor has suddenly (as of this week) become Apricot's favorite place. He only wants to play with the Bird wand toy in and around it. He wants his goodnight and goodbye kisses inside it.

He will, however, pick a secondary spot to have his goodnight and goodbye kisses, but I have to explain each time that I can't kiss him in the tunnel because my head won't fit inside.
I get this view a lot these days.
So it sat there for three months before he decided it was okay. Now he doesn't mind if it rolls while he hurtles through it, even if the roll means he comes out on the other side slightly tilted. It's funny watching him recover his balance. He's gotten very good at it.

And the stuffed stars and moon that hang from inside it are great fun to play with, so much so that he will sometimes ignore the Bird if it has drawn his attention to the star. There are two stars and one moon, and they hang one star at each end and the moon in the middle, and the three are positioned each a third of the way around the circumference farther than the one before, so that no matter how the tunnel is rolled, there's always one hanging from the "ceiling". Only Apricot likes the one that ends up on the floor.

---

I have been watching more tv recently, and he will come in and jump up on the sofa beside me. Apparently this is the way it goes: he jumps up, I pet him, he curls up and stays for a few minutes before he gets bored, and then he gets up and goes out the door. Half an hour later he'll come back in again.

Perhaps this is more along the lines of "come out and be with," because he gets very happy when I finish the episode I'm watching and come into the living room, leaping up from where-ever he is and racing over to me. I lean down and pet him, or sit down and pet him, and he loves every minute of it.

---

The next day: so of course the minute I write that he only wants to play with the tunnel when I get out the bird, that's the day he decides to add the hallway play back into his repertoire. Silly kitty!

---

Sunday, Sept 28, 2014

I have a few "most excellent" photos of Pippin that are my favorite pictures. They number less than ten, and run through his entire lifespan. Yesterday I was able to get my first "most excellent" photo of Apricot.
This is destined to be a favorite photo, I can tell
The situation behind the picture is this: I have crazy birds at my house now. I have no idea why. Birds beyond the typical robins, mockingbirds, and bluejays, too. I think I saw a sandpiper and a bluejay fighting in a whirlwind of feathers across the backyard yesterday. (Apricot thought this was so much fun to watch.)

Anyway, this is out the front living room window; Apricot is in the spiral staircase cat tree in the top cup, trying to get a better view of one of the crazy birds, who had decided for reasons known only to birds that my gutter was a dreadful thing and must be attacked repeatedly.

The sun was falling across Apricot and he had this look of intensely happy concentration on his face. And I actually managed to get it duplicated into a photo. So many times he has "most excellent" moments but I can't get the phone/camera out fast enough to succeed in capturing them!


No comments:

Post a Comment