Monday, October 6, 2014

Allo-grooming

You know how I think that Apricot thinks I'm a cat? All the evidence seems to point that way except for one: he'd never tried to groom me. Cats groom each other as a sign of friendship. It's called allo-grooming and there's a word for self-grooming (that isn't it) that I forget.

Well, turns out, Apricot hadn't been grooming me because he couldn't reach my hair. Apparently he's picky about hair versus skin?

Last week, around Tuesday or so, he comes into the tv room while I'm watching a show, and asks to be up. But somehow this was a different ask. I'm not even sure what is different about it (he's done it since at least twice) but I can tell he wants to be UP up, not just up on the seat of the sofa.

So I patted the back of the sofa and glanced from it to him and back again as encouragingly as I could. I mean, I specifically got a sofa with a thick back so cats could rest on it.

He jumped up to the seat and then up to the back of the sofa. And then he came over to the section where I was sitting with my back against the sofa and proceeds to try to straighten out my hair so all the pieces go the same direction and lie straight. Except I had my hair with the front bits tied up in back and his paws kept catching in the strands.

I had to lean forward so he couldn't reach!

He's tried to groom my hair multiple times. It must puzzle him that I won't let him get it all lined up properly. He prefers his own hair to be all lying in the same direction in an orderly fashion, and for me to have it loose but some of it going in a different direction must be confusing.

Oh, well, he'll get used to it. Till then I just have to lean forward when he's directly behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment