Friday, January 30, 2015

Modified Apricot

It has been very interesting to watch the changes in Apricot's behavior. What I'd most hoped for is happening. He is starting to copy the kittens in all the behaviors I like, while not (yet) picking up the behaviors I'd rather he didn't copy, like keeping me awake by playing if they aren't tucked away in the pink room at night!

He is starting to volunteer more and more to be on my lap. He often does this when the kittens are occupied elsewhere, but most of the time he has to put up with sharing the lap anyway because they come rushing out to "be with" when they realize that we've both left the room.

Placement and position is all Apricot's idea
But often he'll come up and want to be on my lap when there's a kitten or two there, as well. And he's staying for more time, too. He's no longer my drive-by lap cat, or at least, not as often. 

He also has stopped being afraid of the umbrella and the automatic trashcan in the kitchen. I think seeing Colby sit on the trashcan and nothing bad happen to him made a big difference there.

Plus, he'll "tell" on them. If they're doing something new or unusual, he'll perk up and go see what is going on. He's just curious, but it lets me know I need to come with him and see, just in case it's something I'd rather they wouldn't do.

He also is a rather gracious playmate with the two, even when Thimble is being somewhat of a pain. Thimble wants to direct everyone in their actions, and it frustrates him when we don't always do as told. But Apricot puts up with him even when he goes a little sideways to the original intention, as you can see in the video above (or at least, you can see it if you're not using an iphone ...). Thimble started out washing Apricot's head, but got distracted into playtime and tried to turn it into a play fight.

Apricot just puts up with it, and the reason why he didn't go along with the play fight idea is because they are both on my lap in this video, and he still doesn't feel confident enough of his traction on my legs to indulge in a full play fight. (The Rowdy Boys have no such compunction and I have to dump the group on the ground every so often. They're getting the idea I don't like fights happening on my lap, but when they get into the mood, they forget.)

And then there is how Apricot likes to be in the center of the room, or by the wall which is (my living room is weird) sticking out into the almost center. He's observing and keeping an eye on everybody from that vantage point. He used to go into corners to do this, more of a hide than a sprawl out in the middle of everything. His increased confidence is really lovely to watch.

He and Colby are the best of friends now, and I hope they stay that way. When one of them comes into a room, the other will get up and go to greet the first. They do so with a nose bump and then rub against each other as they walk past each other, practically leaning on each other as they go. And it's very much mutual--they're both doing it. I've watched them progress from a hesitant Apricot going, What do you possibly think you're doing? to Apricot eagerly initiating the meet and greet. 

They don't usually sleep together yet, or not that I've seen. Mostly this is because, I think, their sleep patterns are different from each other. Apricot has the adult doze-all-day sleep, and the kittens are still in the play-till-you-drop solid sleep stage. But he'll sleep near them, with a blissful look on his closed-eyes face. 

Finally, when I come home from work, he still wants his cuddle time, but he's not anywhere near as desperate for love as he used to be. I find reassurance from the fact that he still wants his cuddles (he still likes me!) but also reassurance from the lessened time and severity of the cuddles (he's not lonely now). He used to press into me quite hard and we could sit there for twenty minutes with me petting him. Now he just cuddles against me, and is usually done within about five minutes.

Meanwhile the kittens are both respecting his space and cuddle time and they no longer try to tramp all over him to get to me, which is promising because it means he's not letting them bully him, either (I had worried about that, too).

Perhaps one day Apricot will even stay put when a stranger human comes into the house.

(I'm not holding my breath on that one!)


No comments:

Post a Comment