Sunday, July 31, 2016

Thimble is Finally a Cat

Two and a half weeks ago I stopped putting Thimble in his crate at night. I waited this long to see if this time, it would work. The last time I tried this he was an angel the first night, and by the fourth night, the other two were begging me to crate him!

This time, he's grown up enough to restrain his wilder impulses, and so far, everything is going well. (Yes, I know I just shot myself in the foot saying that.)

In fact, things are going more than well. Somehow, this time, having Thimble around all the time made his relationship with Apricot better. I think perhaps Apricot had to put his foot down instead of just avoiding the issue.

But now they will even sleep together sometimes, although it's Thimble's idea when there's contact during sleepy times. Apricot doesn't leave, however, and he certainly could if he wanted to.
They stayed like this for quite some time.

All three of them seem much happier now, and I'm certainly happier--I didn't particularly like crating my cat as if he were a dog, but it was the only choice back when Thimble's night-time behavior was intolerable.

And the new, improved relationship between Thimble and Apricot has translated into a better relationship with Apricot and Colby ... and that I really don't understand the cause and effect of. I walked in and found those two both drinking out of the fountain at the same time. That had never happened before. Colby and Apricot had been good friends before, and it's really nice to see them be even better friends now.
Apricot on left, Colby on right of fountain, and
Thimble the photo-bomber in the foreground.

As I write this, Colby is under the desk at my feet (I am having to remember not to stretch out my legs!), Apricot is on the daybed by my side fast asleep, and Thimble is on the cat tree, not in the top spot, stubbornly asleep even though he's almost falling out of the tree.
Apricot fell asleep holding the blanket

Is it any wonder I think Colby's small?
He certainly doesn't look 16 lbs here.

Thimble refuses to admit gravity exists.

They all came in here when I brought the laptop in, since they know that means I'll be here for a while. Thimble and Apricot took turns walking across the desk between the laptop and the window, as if to point out that they could, before taking their spots. Apricot settled in first, and Thimble walked over to him. This used to result in either a mighty battle taking place with Apricot a reluctant participant, or Apricot simply leaving and finding another spot. This time, Thimble simply ducked his head down until he was nose-to-nose with Apricot (but not touching), and then passed on.

His tail waved across Apricot's face, and I pointed out that wasn't very nice (yes, in those words, with a mild tone of voice) and so he sat down at the end of the daybed where the cat tree is, contemplating his next move while sitting down instead of standing. This controlled the waving tail--his goal--but instead of getting it out of Apricot's way it simply settled across Apricot's tiny orange and white paws. I gave him an inquiring look and he gave me a cat shrug in return, as if to say, "he's fine, he'll move soon," which he did.

This very pleasant calm, happy interaction among my cats makes my heart full. I love it.

And don't worry, they still have mighty battles. But at least Thimble asks first and will take no for an answer (most of the time)!

No comments:

Post a Comment