Sunday, February 9, 2014

Brushing my teeth has become more complicated

Max has a great fascination for water. When he discovered that every night before I go to bed, like clockwork, I go into the one specific bathroom and run water, he thought this was a perfect opportunity to engage his fascination.
Not quite sure he's allowed there.
At first he was rather nervous about participating in the teeth brushing ritual because I have been known to be unreasonable about what pieces of furniture he's allowed to be on. (What possible difference could there be between a desk and the kitchen counter? Unreasonable, I tell you, that's what it is.)

Other than making my life a bit more complicated, I figured there wasn't really a good reason to keep him from "helping" me get ready for bed. It's not just brushing my teeth. I also wash my face with cleanser. I usually brush my teeth first and let the hot water run while I'm doing that so that by the time I want to wash my face, the hot water has actually reached the faucet from where it usually sits taunting me in the hot water heater. 
Yes, he actually keeps going and passes his paw through the water.

Repeatedly

Max quite enjoys playing with the running water. At least, he does until the water gets hot. At that point he leaves, rather puzzled and a bit put out. (And how many nights of this did it take me to figure out that it was the water getting hot that bothered him? Sometimes I doubt my own intelligence.)

When I finish with brushing before he finishes with playing, I have to find a space to spit that isn't occupied with cat. He's a large cat which makes this a challenge, but I usually find a way. I've only gotten him once, and that was a splash-back from the sink where he was standing at the time.

So now we have this ritual, and if I ask him if he wants to come help me brush my teeth, he'll immediately leave off whatever he was doing and come running down the hallway after me, eager to help.



No comments:

Post a Comment