Thursday, February 27, 2014

Stairs are a New Thing for Max

I went to see Max today. I felt the need for kitty fur against my hands and more than that, I wanted to see how he was getting on.

Apparently sleeping all day. Not that this is a major change. He was always more active in the mornings and evenings. He was happy to see me, woke right up and came over and wanted ear scratches and when I picked him up and cuddled him against my shoulder, he didn't even object. 

Much.

The other kitties were still hanging out at the shop with Chuck, and so it was just Dawn and the dog (who was outside) and Nubbins, who never made an appearance while I was there. Max has been leaving the elderly Nubbins alone. It helps that she hisses crankily at him every time he gets near her.

Nixie Cat, who you may remember is top cat in the household, has actually unbent a little in regards to the giant kitten. Dawn said she's been able to use a wand toy with a feather at the end to play with them both in the same room. The two are on opposite sides of the room, and the toy is alternated between them, but this is improvement, especially in only 6 days!

Max has been slowly allowed to explore more and more of the house over the past 6 days. Yesterday they opened the door to the downstairs. Max stopped at the head of the stairs and looked back at Dawn. Um, what are these things? What do they do? What are you supposed to do with them?

He rapidly got the idea, and was enthralled with it. Stairs were for going up and going down, as rapidly and noisily as possible. Chuck and Dawn were at the bottom of the stairs watching tv. The tv faces away from the stairs, blocking view of the stairs. So all they knew was they could hear thunder thunder thunder as Max galloped up the stairs, a skidding as he came to a stop in the tile-floor kitchen, and then (getting louder this time) thunder thunder thunder as he came galloping back down the stairs. Chuck emailed me about it and said he must have done it 5 or 6 times before finally getting tired of the game and going to investigate the furnace room (again).

Last night was the first night that the door to the sunroom has been left open during the night, allowing Max free roam of the house (barring getting hissed at by another cat or invited to play by an overeager dog). Dawn said although Max was in the sunroom when she got up this morning, there were toys scattered down the stairs.

Apparently Max had to introduce his favorite toys to the wonderful concept of stairs!

When I made the decision to give Max to Chuck and Dawn, I was almost sure I was doing the right thing, but I had that nagging little bit of doubt you almost always have with these major decisions. Now I know I was doing the right thing.Max looks so much happier and bouncier (in a good way). He was bouncy at my house but it was almost desperate. (Play with me please!) Now it's Hi! Happy to see you! Want to play?

I'm glad he's happy. And I really hope that given time, he and the dog will become friends (it's only been less than a week). Circle Tail would dearly love a fourfooted companion to play with, since humans can't keep up with his speed. Of course, I don't know if Max could, but he'd be at least less likely to careen into furniture and fall over while trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment