Monday, December 29, 2014

The First Full Day of Three Cats

Since I slept half of Sunday, that doesn't really count as a full day.

This morning, after my walk, Apricot put himself into the Observation Deck and showed no signs of leaving.
Scared eyes.
Well, okay then. Since he seemed to expect it, I let the kittens out. This time I just let them walk down the hall on their own, and didn't use the CarGo at all. Thimble doesn't like it and it doesn't seem to help Apricot any to have them in there.

Thimble and Colby aren't quite sure what to make of the fountain. They seem to get the concept that it's to drink out of, but they aren't sure how. Colby got a wet chin trying.

They played. And played. And played. For hours. I was beginning to think Apricot had a good point. Just watching them was exhausting. Sure, and it was fun too, watching them tumble over toys and things. But wearing, nonetheless. (Still glad I have two and they aren't looking to me for playtime!)

I had a cheap toy from Pippin's childhood hooked into the bottom area of the cat tree Apricot was in. This toy is a simple wire with cardboard twists at both ends. The fun comes when you pounce on one end, then the other end moves. I've never seen two cats play with it, but that was even more fun to watch.

Well, it was fun once I got it off the cat tree, and onto another one that Apricot wasn't occupying, but I realized this too late and Apricot skedaddled for the kitchen and the safety of the green tunnel cat tree. I'm getting the feeling that Apricot has put two and two together and realized that the kittens have a tendency to stay wherever I am.

This is true. I like to have my cats hang out near me ... I just want all three, not two out of the three.

But I got the wire with its tantalizing cardboard twists onto the other cat tree, and this provided long minutes of entertainment.
See the brown thingy on Thimble's paw?
That's one of the ends.
This picture was taken after 2.5 hours of play, and Colby was tired. Thimble had tired out long before and rested, so he was ready to go again when Colby tired out for the first time. I notice that Colby seems to have more play-stamina than Thimble. 

Finally, around 11:30 they wore out at the same time, and decided my lap was the place to crash. I'll say this for kittens; they may play non-stop but when they do stop, they're down for the count.
My legs are propped up on the
facing chair, and I have
kittens all the way to my ankles.
Colby, dear little thing, sleeps in the oddest positions ... 
He is fast asleep.
Those are Thimble's back feet by his head.
Well, then they woke up, and nothing would do but that mutual grooming should commence. But as for moving off my lap--whyever should they bother?

The mutual grooming was hilarious to watch. Both of them washed each other. Both of them objected to being washed by the other. Thimble got less objections from Colby than the other way around. 
This is Thimble getting minor objections from Colby.

This one below, is Colby getting major objections from Thimble.
The washing session deteriorated into a full on fight.

I let them fight on my lap. But I did think about it. Did I want them doing this as full grown cats? Well, the thing of it is, I don't think they'll fight like this as full grown cats. Plus, when they get that big, they won't be able to stay on my lap to fight. And all I have to do is get up and walk off. It's not like they're using claws (that I could feel, anyway) and the biting is restricted to each other. 

Apparently Thimble's ears are tasty.

But Ginger said to make sure Apricot was sleeping when the kittens slept, and he wasn't (I checked and he was still all wide-eyed. I'd kind of used kitten presence to get him back into the living room earlier ... I'd feel guilty, but I know myself that anxiety only gets worse the more you hide from it). So I put the kittens away around two, I guess.

Apricot has come down and been friendly to me, although still a bit skittish. He's slept, and groomed. I don't think he's eaten yet, and I don't know about the water intake. He's worrying me, to be honest.

This is a strain on my anxiety levels, not only worrying about him, but simply getting used to the sheer presence and energy levels of Colby and Thimble. I'm glad I have carte blanche to "put them away" when I'm getting too tired to have them around. Of course I also feel guilty at isolating them, since their enjoyment of my presence is so very obvious and their reluctance to be put back in the pink room is also obvious (another pair of squirmy kitties this afternoon on the trip back there).

I just hope we all get used to each other soon. I have less than a week before I have to go back to work, and I'd like to be able to let the kittens roam the house while I'm at work without worrying about Apricot's reactions.





No comments:

Post a Comment