Sunday, November 23, 2014

Apricot Achieves Lap

This happened Sunday night while I was waiting to find out which kittens were mine. (I wrote it Wednesday, but I'm making it say "sunday" on the publish date so it's in chronological order.)

I was watching Iron Man, of all movies for this to happen during. I mean, it's surround sound and several gun battles, so there are sounds of shots coming from all around the room. Gotta be unnerving to a cat who doesn't understand human technology.

Apricot had been hiding off and on all day as the thunderstorm cells came through. So perhaps he felt he hadn't had enough time with me. In any case, he comes in after the movie had just started and jumped up on the soft with me.

I thought he was going to curl up with his head against my hip, because he'd done that during a tv show the Monday before. I had my hand ready to pet him once he settled.

Well, my hand was in the way of what he intended. So he just nudged it aside, clambered onto my lap, all of him, and fell asleep.

He wasn't sleeping deeply, because he was also purring the whole time. He stayed for about 45 minutes. Which was amazing to me. It's the longest he's spent in direct contact with me, ever.

And then after he left, he came back and curled up on the hammock on the floor next to the sofa that I can reach over the edge and pet him. He stayed there for a while, left, and then came back and got onto my lap again.

Only this time he wasn't stretched out along my legs; this time he curled up against my stomach, pressing himself against me. So I obligingly hugged him (gently, of course). This only lasted his usual five minutes or so.

Of course I don't have pictures. It's dark except for the tv screen in there. But I remember his weight on my legs and the purring rumbling through my veins. I do so love it when a cat chooses to be a lap cat!

No comments:

Post a Comment