Sunday, November 30, 2014

Apricot Tries Out the Hammock

Remember how I got the hammock top / double scratching post little cat tree to put next to the settee so Apricot would have a way to participate in the settee fun without actually scratching the settee itself?

Well, tonight I managed to coax him into trying out the hammock part. He's been very enthusiastic about the scratching post bits, but has avoided the hammock.

Here is he is, the arm of the settee in view

And here he is being all nonchalant about it.
That's a new expression for him!
He seemed quite pleased with it, and actually slept there for about fifteen minutes before getting up to go elsewhere. This is a long time for him.

I think the last trust issue is going to be sleeping next to me, truly sleeping with complete abandonment. At that point I'll know he's gotten to the stage where he trusts me to take care of him and guard him.

The problem with him thinking I'm a cat instead of an all-powerful human is that he doesn't quite trust that I can protect him against all comers.

He's not wrong. There are certain things I can't protect him against, and I wish very much that I could. 

So I can't actually tell him that he's completely safe with me simply because I know it's not true and that would come across in my voice. Thus, this sleep thing is going to be something he decides completely on his own, without any coaxing from me.

Which will make it all the more special when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment